Bike Month motivates new riders and inspires experienced bicyclists. Nothing is better than celebrating this season by getting outside to have some fun on a bike. This year due to Covid-19 we will not be posting group rides, as those do not meet C-U Public Health Department guidelines, but we will be posting activities and events you do with those in your household or by yourself. Here are some fun ideas for rides this month:
- Go for a ride - solo! Take a photo and share it on social media and show the world that #BikesUnite
- Take a picture of yourself and your bike
- Challenge your friends to a photo contest - who can take the best photo of their bike leaning next to a tree?
- Create or join a scavenger hunt (see scavenger hunt below) in your community and help people discover local sights
- Take a selfie in front of your favorite small businesses
- Join the National Bike Challenge to log your miles and see how united people are across the country by biking
- Watch and share the League’s videos about how to improve riding skills
- Connect with League member state and local advocacy groups, bike clubs, and local bike shops to discover virtual events in your area using the League’s map
Fun ride routes
Suggestions for short, fun rides in town are provided here for families and others who want to get outside for some fresh air and cycling. The routes are mostly on off-road multi-use paths, low-speed/low-volume roadways, or bike lanes. Please be sure to follow all the Rule of the Road and use the Illinois Bicycle Safety Tips. You can prepare for your ride by taking the Illinois Bicycle Safety Quiz! The quiz is available in adult and child versions. Disclaimer: Like any sport, bicycling involves risk of injury and damage. By choosing to ride a bicycle, you assume the full responsibility for that risk, so you need to know, and practice, the rules of safe and responsible riding and of proper use and maintenance of your bicycle.
Bike SCAVENGER hunt
The purpose of this photo scavenger hunt is to get people outside and explore what your local area has to offer. Even if you aren't in the Champaign/Urbana area you can submit. We would love to see what other areas have to offer as well!
Date(s): May 1st at 12:00AM through the end of the day on May 17th
Location: Your own local area. Please do not go to The Bike Project.
What: Take photos for all of the categories outlined below. Pick your best one as they will be judged later on. You don’t have to do this in one activity. Stretch it out across the days and explore your local area. All photos must be uploaded along with supporting information at midnight. Supporting information includes a log of your activities preferably with GPS information. (Privacy concerns? Contact the admins and we can work on finding alternative means to document your efforts.)
Do this by yourself or with your household. Social distancing guidelines and all local statutes apply. Don’t ruin this. Be safe, have fun and get some fresh air.
Submission Link: Active once the competition starts
RIDE OF SILENCE
Wednesday, May 20th, 2020 7:00 pm
The Ride of Silence is an annual international bicycle ride to commemorate cyclists killed and support those injured while riding on public roads. It helps to raise awareness among motorists, the public and decision makers of the dangers cyclists face on the roads, especially from other traffic.
The format for this year's ride will be to do solo rides or to ride with your household members.
Rides to Parks
Consider taking some time to ride to your local park. While some equipment and facilities may be closed, many of Champaign's and Urbana's parks remain open. This map provides a comprehensive list of parks and trails so you can plan your route and destination
Pictures from the 2019 Ride with the Mayors Event!